Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

Two Indians In A Canoe - A Beautiful Unsigned Antique Bronze Plaque

This has been my season for bronze plaques! I just purchased this one from a very nice antiques dealer who lives about three hours away from me. It took almost two months for the weather to break on a day off from work for me to be able to make the trip into the mountains to his house. I'm very happy that I was able to make it there and bring this wonderful work home! The seller had purchased it at an estate auction, so the source and provenance of the piece are unknown.

Depicted on this heavy round bronze plaque are two Indian men paddling a canoe on a wild river rapids with tall pine trees lining the rocky bank behind them. They look ahead with stoic concentration as they navigate their birchbark canoe through the treacherous waters. The level of detail is amazing, the sculpting exquisite.

I have no idea who designed or cast this piece, or even when it was made. I vaguely remember an identical plaque that sold at auction many years ago for a very hefty sum, but I have not been able to find the listing for that sale. On the back of the bronze there are four small blind holes along the rim that are threaded to accept small screws or bolts. I think it was meant to be mounted to either a wood base or perhaps a door. I really think this was cast for a corporate client, perhaps the logo of an outfitter or a store sign. I continue to research it, and I'm hoping to find at least this image some day.

I'll be cleaning and waxing this one very soon. I was so excited to get it that I just had to post it before I had a chance to clean it.

If anyone knows where this came from or who made it, please let me know!

Two Indians in a Canoe, bronze plaque, unknown artist, front

Two Indians in a Canoe, bronze plaque, unknown artist, close up

Two Indians in a Canoe, bronze plaque, unknown artist, back

No comments:

Post a Comment