Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Child With Vine - Another Mystery Bronze!

Yet another early purchase was this rather unique and interesting bronze of a young child holding a growing vine. I was told it was an Indian boy, but I don't know for certain. The child has long hair and is barefoot, but could be a young boy or a girl and either Native American or Asian. Beats me! I do know it was very inexpensive and interesting enough to add to my collection, even though it's quite a bit removed from what I usually collect. I purchased this before my collection really took on some definition though. The bronze is unsigned, without identifying marks of any kind. The child is pinned to the bronze base from underneath with a solid brass rivet and was soldered down as well, though the solder has long since let go. The base of the vine rests in a hole in the base and sits in the child's hands. It can easily be removed. There is a design of some type on the child's right breast, on the shirt. This design is quite deeply incised and almost looks like the bronze was patched to fill a hole. Bizarre! Perhaps it was a decorator piece, like one would find in a furniture store...

I've had it for years, sitting on my shelf, without any idea who made it or where it came from, or even the intended model. If someone out the knows, please tell me!

Child With Vine, bronze, front

Child With Vine, bronze, left

Child With Vine, bronze, back

Child With Vine, bronze, right

Child With Vine, bronze, close up

No comments:

Post a Comment