Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Indian Head Bookends - Solid Bronze Antiques!

I managed to buy these solid bronze Indian head bookends from a thrift store auction for a fantastic price. They are a matched pair, depicting an Indian man in a headdress looking about 1/4 turn to the right. The bookends have heavy patina due to age and are still a bit dirty. I haven't wanted to clean them as I have run out of the wax I use to keep my bronzes in top shape. They are unsigned and not marked by the foundry that made them. I've seen other bookends of the same type, even later copies made from pot metal, but few that have the depth of detail and crispness to the sculpture as these. They're quite heavy. I date them to about the 1920's, give or take. Given that the two are virtually identical, I only photographed one from all sides. Enjoy!

Indian Head Bookends, bronze, pair

Indian Head Bookend, bronze, front

Indian Head Bookend, bronze, right

Indian Head Bookend, bronze, back

Indian Head Bookend, bronze, left

Indian Head Bookend, bronze, 1/4 right

Indian Head Bookend, bronze, felted bottom

3 comments:

  1. I found my identical pieces in oour garage when we did a total clean out. Do you have any idea as to what their worth? gaildouglas39@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a set also. I would love to know more about them, along with their value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a set I seen them in a online auction behind them at bottom of the frame right hand side there’s a stamp BOPA something in those letters if you get some bronze polish or steel wool maybe you might find something

    ReplyDelete