Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

Saint Clair Homer II "Homma" (March 7, 1925 - August 6, 1987) - "Chief Iron Shell" Cast Iron Paperweight

I purchased this as part of a multi-piece deal from an online dealer in Western art and collectibles, with the Gordon G. Pond bronze. They were having a sale, and I really wanted it!

St. Clair Homer was a Choctaw and German sculptor who was born in Muskogee Oklahoma in 1925. His father was an Indian sculptor and his German mother taught at the Chicago Art Institute where she had been a student. He grew up in Barnsdall and Sand Springs, moving to Tulsa in 1960 where he would eventually pass away. He served in France under Patton in WWII where he continued the sculptural studies he had started before the war at James Milliken University. St. Clair had extensive academic art training. The name he signed to his works is the original form of his last name, "Homma", an Anglicization of the Choctaw word "homma" which means "red." He began his art career carving wooden cigar store Indians, but later moved on to bronze. His works concentrated on showing Indian pride. Earlier in his career he cast his own bronzes, but due to the time and effort involved he later shipped his sculptures to Rome for casting. During his career he gained great recognition and became a highly respected artist. He's still widely collected today. Saint Clair Homer II "Homma" passed away in Tulsa in 1987.

Depicted here is Iron Shell (Tukiha Maza, 1816–1896), a BrulĂ© Lakota Sioux chief who fought against the Pawnees and in the Indian Wars and was highly respected. He died on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation in 1896.

This cast iron paperweight was commissioned and cast by Precision Metalcasting, Inc. as  a gift in 1981. On the front is a very well executed and handsome relief of an Indian head, and on the back reads "Chief Iron Shell, Sioux, commissioned for and cast by PMI" and the artist's signature "Homma" with his mark.  It's a pretty rare piece, as I've only seen a couple of these (including mine) change hands. It's a fine and lovely work. I keep my eye out for Homma's sculptures, and I'm thrilled that I was able to afford this one!

"Chief Iron Shell" by St. Clair Homer II "Homma", 1981, cast iron, front

"Chief Iron Shell" by St. Clair Homer II "Homma", 1981, cast iron, back

13 comments:

  1. We have a Saint Clair Homer sculpture called "He Marked The Warriors". It is a limited edition, polished bronze eagle head mounted on a marble base. Size is 17H x 12W x 12D not including base. Extraodinarily powerful. Interested? janconfer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email sent. Thanks for offering it to me!

      Delete
    2. Arthound,
      Did you ever learn anything about your bronze chief irons shell?

      Delete
    3. Hi there! This Chief Iron Shell paperweight is actually made of cast iron, not bronze. It remains (to date) the only piece I own by Homma, though I always keep my eyes open for others. :) I have seen a few more of these come up for sale over the last few years, all the same, all cast iron. Prices have varied pretty wildly...

      Frank
      The Bronze Hound

      Delete
    4. I have a bronze version of this paper wieght and i need information on it Instead of saying commissioned for PMI it says designed for PMI Can someone please get back to me I've heard that the bronze one is very rare

      Delete
    5. No mine is most certainly bronze and reads designed for pmi

      Delete
    6. Did you sell your Homma sculpture you offered to the bronze hound? My # is 918-869-9843. Name is Billie

      Delete
  2. I have the same cast iron paperweight. It is a little worn.
    Do you know of any collectors who might be interested in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this paper weight in my dad's stuff do you know what it's worth,

    ReplyDelete
  4. interested in any St Clair Homer bronzes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a humma paper weight that is bronze and says designed for pmi and everyone tells me that it is very rare and I definitely never seen another one like it my email is dmkpainting300@gmail.com
      Please contact me if interested

      Delete
    2. dmkpainting300@gmail.com I have the bronze version

      Delete
  5. 3" METAL, NATIVE AMERICAN, SIOUX INDIAN CHIEF, IRON SHELL, CAST BY PMI, HOMMA how much is it worth

    ReplyDelete