Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Massachusetts State Seal Plaque - A Beautiful Antique!

In yet another awesome online deal I managed to buy this lovely antique bronze plaque of the Coat of Arms of the State of Massachusetts. According to the seller, it was salvaged during the demolition of a former state building that dated from ca. 1880-1910. It was obviously cemented to an outside wall, as it has both significant weathering and patina as well as a fair amount of cement remaining on the back. It also has a bit of damage to the top edge of the shield and the face of the star which occurred during the demolition. I may have that repaired...

Even with the minor damage, this is a very cool antique plaque that rarely (if ever) comes up for private sale. It's a lovely and welcome addition to my collection!



Massachusetts State Coat of Arms, ca 1880-1910
Massachusetts State Coat of Arms, ca 1880-1910, shield close-up

Massachusetts State Coat of Arms, ca 1880-1910, back

Massachusetts State Coat of Arms, ca 1880-1910, back showing depths
Massachusetts State Coat of Arms, ca 1880-1910, damage close-up


8 comments:

  1. To Art Hound - I have a very similar bronze Massachusetts state coat of arms seal. Mine is also very old, it has a great patina and obvious signs of being in the weather for many decades. I have been looking for a buyer and your web site got my attention. Mine also has some of the original cement on the back. If you are interested please send me a e-mail I am located in Mass. Thank You Mike catz.tree@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bronze seals were used by Massachusetts on the ends of highway bridges. The smaller diameter 4 inch seals came into use when the Interstate Highway program ratcheted up highway and bridge construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! This seal plaque is roughly 8-10" in diameter (I don't remember the exact size offhand - I'll measure it when I get home). It's entirely possible that it came off a demolished bridge or some other outdoor structure. It's certainly seen a lot of weathering! The only info I have about its origins comes from the seller. He couldn't tell me where the building had been located, just that when he got it, that's what he'd been told.

      This happens rather frequently to me, with pieces that I buy at auction, especially eBay or charity auctions. More often than not the sellers should not to be counted in the chain of ownership as they themselves are merely buying the pieces at another sale expressly for resale, much like an art gallery or thrift shop would not be counted as an owner in a chain of provenance. In this way the actual provenance of the piece is lost and I'm left guessing. I can only go by what the seller tells me.

      But in no small part that's why I started this blog, to begin a discussion and maybe get some answers about these pieces that have broken free from their history. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have a 4” bronze medallion, it’s in good condition and has two mounting holes where it had apparently been nail up to something. I’m looking to see if they are worth anything or a direction to go in. Kelly

      Delete
  4. To Art. Art I have a 4” bronze medallion in great condition for its age I guess and looking to find a value on something like this. Any help or direction you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I just came into ownership of 3 of these all in different condition from perfect to great to very good. I was told they came from the demolition of a bridge in massachusetts I was wondering if since this was posted you found any more information or value. Ty

    Posted 9-10-21

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the value of this item I own four of them 3158641568

    ReplyDelete