Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

"Eagle Dancer" - An Unsigned Modern Chinese Bronze

This bronze is a prime example of my attitude of "buy what you like". I had seen this sculpture for sale online for a few years before I found mine on the secondary market, and I really liked it even though I knew it was just a decorative piece that was cast in China. Between the face and the pose, I thought (and still think) it was a handsome work. I managed to save a bit of money buying it "used" over new, so I figured why not?

My copy has no signature or hallmark, though the newer ones available today are now signed "Milo". That's one of the portmanteau signatures used frequently by Chinese foundries when casting cheap knockoffs of works still protected by copyright.

Last year I was poking around online, checking out the websites of various sculptors for old and new works. While perusing the site of renowned artist Herb Mignery, I stumbled across a picture of his "Arapaho Dancer", a bronze produced in an edition of 9. 'Aha!' I thought, 'Here is the original of my Chinese bronze. This is what they ripped off!' The pieces are very similar, and I'm certain Mr. Mignery's original work was the basis for my dancer. The bright spark in China added the wings on the Indian's arms and the flames under his feet, thus (most likely) changing the piece just enough to avoid a copyright infringement. In all honesty, I rather prefer the copy to the original - I don't find the face of the original to be all that attractive.

While this is not an investment level bronze, it makes me happy. It sits on a shelf in my bedroom and my eyes are frequently drawn to it. If you'd like one for yourself, check the most popular online auction site and you can buy one easily.

Eagle Dancer, unsigned Chinese bronze, front

Eagle Dancer, unsigned Chinese bronze, close up

Eagle Dancer, unsigned Chinese bronze, right

Eagle Dancer, unsigned Chinese bronze, back

Eagle Dancer, unsigned Chinese bronze, left

2 comments:

  1. What a Workmanship. I was so surprised to watch your collection it is really antique collection. I have also Chinese antique porcelain and Chinese Bronze collection

    ReplyDelete