Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2014

David James Densmore (contemporary), Sedona Sculptor Extraordinaire!

I was recently fortunate to win at auction this lovely piece by Sedona, AZ sculptor David J. Densmore. I have not been able to find much information about the artist or his work, save that in 1967 he took top honors in sculpture at the 3rd annual Northern Arizona University student art competiton and that he had (at one time) studios both in Arizona and on the East Coast. Mr. Densmore (again at one time) was an active participant in the local Rendezvous, an event where folks re-create the annual gatherings of buckskinners, trappers, Indians and other folks of the Old West. If you picture in your mind a cross between an old-time fair, outdoor market, roundup and pow-wow, you're starting to get the picture. I like to think of the Rendezvous as being the Old West version of a Renaissance Faire.

I haven't been able to find more than a few images of the artist's other works, and so far they have all been bronzes of animals. This is the first figural piece by him that I have seen, and it is quite a beauty! The details of both the Indian and the horse are exquisite. The proportions are spot-on. The polychrome patina is delicately applied and highly intricate. Without a doubt, this is the most highly detailed and precise bronze in my collection, and I think it's absolutely breathtaking. The bronze sits on a hardwood base that has a recessed swivel, making it very easy to adjust for the perfect viewing angle. I've tried to add plenty of pictures!

The signature is a bit difficult to read, even looking through my Luxo magnifier. It is signed "DENSMORE" with the artist's sigil )-O-( and 1/30 beneath. To the right of the signature proper is what I believe to be "STUDY" and the copyright symbol with either "82" or "86" - it's a bit difficult to read. As usual with artist created, limited edition bronzes, the edition marks may be a bit misleading. It is better to think of the second number as an intended total production versus an actual number produced. It is usually more accurate to think of the top number as the actual last number known to have been made. In this case, it's only known for sure that the first of an intended thirty was created. Just because the artist planned to make thirty copies does not mean that many were actually made. It is entirely possible that this may be the only one of its kind.

As usual, if anyone knows more about either this artist or his work, please let me know!

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something
"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something
"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something

"Study" by David J. Densmore, 1/30, 1980-something


15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cool! Which one do you have? Do you know anything about Mr. Densmore?

      Delete
    2. I have Walk Like a Cat and I was going to sell it.

      Delete
    3. Dave lives in Arizona and at this time is suffering from a life threating lung problem. He has made numerous bronzes that range from animals, mountain men, and a cathartic bronze of soldiers helping each other. the bronze you have is I believe the only indian bronze that I know of. He also made custom black powder rifles and knives.

      Delete
    4. I'm terribly sorry to hear that Dave is unwell. My best wishes go out to him.

      I purchased "Walks Like A Cat" online (probably from the OP). It's a bust of an Indian man. I'll post pictures of that also, hopefully soon.

      Delete
  2. I know nothing about him except that he is a sculptor out of Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how much I can sell it for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, the best place to check would be eBay auctions and places like Invaluable.com for past auction results. I've seen his work selling for anywhere from $150 to $1500. It's difficult to give an accurate valuation based on just a description, however, though larger and more complex works are typically valued higher than small and/or single patina pieces. Condition plays a huge role in value too, and any damage or corrosion can affect the value significantly. Pictures sure would help though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can I send you a picture of it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about that... my email is: art.antiques.hound@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will send you pictures. Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem. I can't guarantee anything, and I'm not an expert appraiser, but I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a bronze belt buckle "The Scout" 21 out of 500 made. Does anyone know anything About this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a bronze belt buckle "The Scout" 21 out of 500 made. Does anyone know anything About this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. David Densmore was best man at my wedding to Sherry Fore (deceased in 2006). I've run into him and his wife one time at a See's Candy Store in Prescott, AZ. I own a small bronze Cowboy that David gave us as a wedding gift. I would not part with it for anything. You can contact me at rsparker@cableone.net if there should be a need. I believe that he still lives in the Sedona area.

    ReplyDelete