Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

David Y. Gilman - A Handsome Painting of a Warrior on Horseback

I spotted this painting for sale on eBay and had to do a double take. Not six months earlier I had bid on this very same artwork in an online thrift store auction and had lost! I double checked, and sure enough it was one and the same. The seller's ID matched the winner's ID from the previous auction. To make it more interesting, the original ending price (without shipping) of the thrift store auction was about $100 MORE than the opening bid of the new auction! Of course I bid on it, and as the only bidder, in due course I won. Shipping was a bit pricey, but this is such a beautiful painting (and in perfect condition) that I really didn't care. It's not often that one not only has a second chance to own a one-of-a-kind artwork, much less buying it for less than it was offered previously!

This handsome Indian on his horse came to me in this frame, which I believe to be original to the piece. Judging by the patina and very light aging, it is not more than 20 years old or so, at most. It was very well executed in oil on canvas. It's quite well done, the proportions look to be right on. I think it's really sharp.

I'm still trying to decipher the artist's name, but I'm leaning heavily toward "David Y. Gilman" though. I haven't been able to find anything on any variations of the name however. If anyone knows anything about either this artist or painting, drop me a note!

Update: I have recently discovered that this painting is a copy of another painting, "Sun Seeker" by Chuck Ren.  I was waiting to be seated at one of my favorite local diners and they had a collector's plate in a display case with this very image on it. A little research turned up the source. Even though this is a copy, it's quite well done and looks great on my wall!!


"Indian Warrior" by David Y. Gilman, oil on canvas

"Indian Warrior" by David Y. Gilman, oil on canvas, signture

3 comments:

  1. I also have a painting by David Y Gilman.. that is a copy of a Howard Terminal painting. It is beautifully executed and is almost brush stroke for stroke. I was given mine about 40 years ago and unfortunately do not have any other info. But I love the painting! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely had/has some mad good copying skills! I do have to wonder though if we don't see many of his works because he was nabbed for copyright violations. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have a goodwill find by this artist two men on horses native american large painting in oil with the same signature beautiful framed looks old I love it.

    ReplyDelete