Search This Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dell Weston bronze - "Signal"

Well, this bronze has a happy story. It is an original piece by New Mexico artist Dell Weston, whom I had the pleasure of talking to just this evening! I had done some research through Google on Mr. Weston and found that he was the owner of Weston Art Foundry, and had sculpted smaller versions of Frederic Remington's works and cast them in bronze. He had also done many castings for other artists over the years. I found a phone number for the foundry, so I thought, 'What the heck?' and I called. Mr. Weston himself answered, and was very pleasant to speak with! It turns out that the foundry has been closed for a couple years, though he still sculpts (albeit in larger scale these days due to his eyesight). This piece is titled "Signal" and is original, number 36 of 50 and cast in 1977, and has long been sold out - he stated that it had sold out "pretty quickly." He informed me that this was an original sculpture of his (versus being just cast at his foundry), made because he "liked the pose." Well, so do I!!

I'm really thrilled to have been able to speak directly with the artist, and that he was willing to fill me in on the specifics of his work. Thank you, sir!


"Signal" by Dell Weston, 36/50, 1977, front

"Signal" by Dell Weston, 36/50, 1977, right
"Signal" by Dell Weston, 36/50, 1977, back


"Signal" by Dell Weston, 36/50, 1977, left


"Signal" by Dell Weston, 36/50, 1977, signature




No comments:

Post a Comment