Search This Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

G. C. "Gerry" Wentworth (1932-1985) - "Sign Talk"

I saw this in another online auction and had to bid on it. Much to my surprise, I won! At the time, not much was "out there" on the Internet about the artist, aside from a website set up by the late artist's family with a brief biography and bronzes for sale. Apparently Mr. Wentworth, an artist from Great Falls, Montana who passed away in 1985 (far too early for a man of his talents), was a professional bronco buster and self-taught painter who turned his hand to sculpture in 1974. From what I gather, his sculptures (most of which were made of wax) were not cast in bronze during his lifetime, though that was his intention. The bronzes are being cast by his family in limited runs, and are very finely done, in my opinion. A link to the artist's website is to the right.

This sculpture, titled "Sign Talk", is signed G. C. Wentworth, dated 1974 (making it one of his earliest sculpted works) and numbered 2 of 10 (making it the first one in the series sold, as number 1 is still held by the Wentworth family). This piece is sold out, and to be honest, is one of my favorites from this artist as well. I'm very happy to have it in my collection!

"Sign Talk" by G. C. "Gerry" Wentworth, 1974, 2/10, front

"Sign Talk" by G. C. "Gerry" Wentworth, 1974, 2/10, back

"Sign Talk" by G. C. "Gerry" Wentworth, 1974, 2/10, signature

"Sign Talk" by G. C. "Gerry" Wentworth, 1974, 2/10, edition marks

No comments:

Post a Comment