Search This Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Antique Russian bronze - Mongolian Hunter

Here is a bronze that I bought in an online auction that was described as "Native American", with a few blurry pictures that were hard to make out. The starting bid was almost free, so I bid on it, and no one else bid me up! When it arrived, I realized it wasn't as described, but after some research I found out that this unsigned sculpture is of Russian origin, probably dating to the late 1800's. It is gilded, and the Mongolian hunter sits on a rock crystal base, making it look like he's sitting on ice (brrr). These sculptures are apparently quite rare, and sell for quite a bit in Europe. Aside from the crack in the crystal (which does not make the base unstable), there is no apparent damage. This piece is in amazing condition, especially considering its age.

As it doesn't fit in with the theme of the rest of my collection, it is one of the few pieces that I plan to resell soon.

If anyone knows who made this well-sculpted and detailed piece, please let me know!

"Mongolian Hunter", unsigned Russian bronze, right side

"Mongolian Hunter", unsigned Russian bronze, front

"Mongolian Hunter", unsigned Russian bronze, left side

"Mongolian Hunter", unsigned Russian bronze, back


No comments:

Post a Comment