Search This Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Houston Scott bronze - Indian Tracker

If you've read my other posts, you'll know that I love buying art from artists who are virtually unknown today, or perhaps just never hit the big time at all. This next piece was also purchased in an online auction for a very nice price. I could not find much on artist Houston Scott other than a couple old listings for various bronzes (perhaps three in total), and a mention from a foundry that cast some pieces as well.

I call this bronze "Indian Tracker", because there is no official title on it and that's what I think is going on. It's a well-sculpted piece, even if the right arm seems to bend a bit oddly at the elbow (perhaps the original sculpture was bumped when it was being molded). I'm quite happy with it however, and the angle of the arm is only noticeable if the piece is viewed from the front. The bronze is signed but neither dated or numbered, at least not that I could find. It may be one-of-a-kind.

As always, if anyone has any information on either the artist or the sculpture, please post a comment!

Edit: I recently found a ceramic sculpture that is amazingly like this bronze, even down to some quite specific details. In fact, one of the only details that is different between the two is the position of the right arm! In the ceramic, he is pointing at the ground in a rather natural pose, versus this slightly awkward version. So which came first? Was this the sculpture from which the molds for the ceramics were made, or was the ceramic mold used to cast the wax for this piece? Personally, I think I know... I thought about doing the same thing!

"Indian Tracker" by Houston Scott, bronze, front

"Indian Tracker" by Houston Scott, bronze, right

"Indian Tracker" by Houston Scott, bronze, back

"Indian Tracker" by Houston Scott, bronze, left

"Indian Tracker" by Houston Scott, bronze, signature


2 comments:

  1. Just bought one at a show do you have any idea of value I paid 100

    ReplyDelete