Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Souvenir Statue From Lake George, NY - Artistic Antique!

Yet another auction purchase was this cool little Indian statuette from Lake George, NY, though I've seen the same image with many different locales attached to it. I believe it dates back to the 1950's, but usually these were made for many decades. They were sold in area souvenir stores and were a popular take-home item. When I was a kid, I used to buy tchachkis and trinkets just like this when on vacation. They hold a rather special place in my heart. In a way, I see these figurines as being the modern equivalent of "Grand Tour" bronzes. Even though this statuette is made of painted pot metal or spelter, it is still a good leap in quality above what is available in those same gift shops today. I've been to Lake George, but I don't need to buy my souvenirs at the site to evoke memories of the place if I can get a better one online. Just reading the plaque at the feet of the Indian takes me back to the lake, and that's a better memory than of buying a disappointing plastic remembrance there.

Aside from the obvious plaque, there are no maker's or artist's marks on the piece. This is not unusual for items like this. Usually the sculpture was made either in-house or was contracted out to an artist as work-for-hire. The copyright stayed with the company that mass produced the piece, so they "owned" the work outright.

Depicted here is an Indian scout, dressed in full buckskins, moccasins, a breast plate and feather headdress. He holds a rifle in his right hand and his left hand shades his brow as he peers into the distance. The outfit is much more Plains Indian than Eastern Woodland. Were this made today one would hope that such souvenirs would be a bit more locally oriented and sensitive than a plaque slapped on a generic and rather stereotypical image of an "Indian" that is really no way representative of the local tribes. But given the time in which this was produced, it's not too surprising.

I classify this as an antique rather than fine art, but a generally pleasing and decorative one. I have many such vintage tourist trade statuettes and souvenirs. I'll be posting them up as I go along.

If anyone knows who made this, please let me know!

Souvenir Indian Scout, from Lake George, NY, painted spelter, front

Souvenir Indian Scout, from Lake George, NY, painted spelter, right

Souvenir Indian Scout, from Lake George, NY, painted spelter, back

Souvenir Indian Scout, from Lake George, NY, painted spelter, right

Souvenir Indian Scout, from Lake George, NY, painted spelter, in better light

2 comments:

  1. So glad I found your page. I have a version of the same Indian scout. My father bought it in or around the 1920's. Possibly from the Florence, Arizona prison store. The is a mark that looks like a little bug/beatle stamped under the base. What do you think it's worth? Thank you.
    Jim Collier, Gold Canyon, Arizona. jscollier7@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim! I've seen other versions of this piece for sale over the years, typically with a different locale badge tacked to the front (I don't think I've seen another Lake George one though). Prices on them vary, usually in the range of $5 to $50, though they seem to trade in the $20-ish range. This fine fellow was an inexpensive souvenir when new and is considered to be a bit kitschy today. But what a fun way to say, "I was there!"

      Frank
      The Bronze Hound

      Delete