Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett (Contemporary), A Very Powerful Sculpture!

Here again I have managed to acquire a sculpture from an artist whose work has consistently made me drool. I've been hoping to add this to my collection for years, but given the consistently high prices that his work commands (usually well into the multiple thousands), I couldn't even think of doing much more than dreaming over pictures and hoping my lottery numbers are one day drawn. Last week the stars aligned for me - the seller listed this at a very low starting price right after I had been paid for a large job I had completed, and no one bid against me. Talk about luck! Now I get to drool over my very own bronze!

Dan Garrett is highly regarded for his very accurate and detailed sculptures of Native Americans. He has won many awards and commissions and his work is collected internationally. In 1986 he completed this sculpture for the Franklin Mint titled "One With The Eagle." Even given the origin, this was not an inexpensive or cheaply made sculpture, oh no. Mr. Garrett's attention to detail is plainly evident and helps make this one of the more highly prized sculptures produced by Franklin Mint. As that company is no longer producing bronze sculptures, these have become difficult to find.

Mr. Garrett has captured a very handsome Indian in the middle of his transformation to an eagle. His arms disappear into wings as he stands on a precipice ready to leap into flight. This is such a powerful and moving sculpture that once again, words fail to capture the beauty and wonder of the work. Hopefully my pictures will convey a small part of the strength of this sculpture. I'm thrilled to be fortunate enough to own such an incredible sculpture by an artist whose work I truly admire.


"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett, polychrome bronze, 1986, front

"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett, polychrome bronze, 1986, right

"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett, polychrome bronze, 1986, back

"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett, polychrome bronze, 1986, left

"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett, polychrome bronze, 1986, one more time because I can
"One With The Eagle" by Dan Garrett, polychrome bronze, 1986, underside

5 comments:

  1. I have this myself and I am thinking of selling for the right price
    julierailton@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAD this until it was stolen from me. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that! I purchased mine via eBay from an older gentleman who was liquidating his household because he was moving into assisted living and did not have the room to take this piece. He was fairly put out that it didn't fetch a higher price, but the housing market had just tanked and the art market crashed right behind it. I am still very happy with my purchase. The good news for you is, there are more of these sculptures out there and they frequently turn up for sale. Keep your eye on the auction websites and I'm sure you'll find a deal on one yourself eventually!

      Delete
  3. I have a stunning Dan Garrett Native American Sculpture, signed & numbered.
    I’m in NY
    E-mail me if there’s any interest:
    jh@rtkenvironmental.com

    ReplyDelete