Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Small Unsigned Bronze Of A Seated Indian Couple

This is yet another bronze that I had been following for a couple years in online auctions. I had thought the price was a little more than I wanted to spend, especially for a piece that is about two inches in its largest dimension and is unsigned and unattributed. After giving it much thought, I floated an offer to the seller that I felt was fair and it was accepted within minutes! I'm very happy that this incredible small bronze is now a part of my collection.

In this piece, a pair of Indians are seated with their legs crossed, both wrapped head to feet in blankets as they talk to each other. The figure on the left has his hands crossed in his lap, the figure on the right is leaning his head on his left hand with elbow propped on his lifted right knee. Since it does not have an official title that I know of, I like to call it "Council". For such a small sculpture it is very nicely detailed and has a lovely dark brown patina.

I have looked this over with my Luxo Magnifier very carefully and cannot find any sort of signature or maker's mark. If anyone out there knows who the sculptor was or where/when it was cast, please let me know!!

"Council", unsigned, bronze, front

"Council", unsigned, bronze, right

"Council", unsigned, bronze, back

"Council", unsigned, bronze, left

"Council", unsigned, bronze, underside

No comments:

Post a Comment