Search This Blog

Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Beautiful Bronze by Denny Haskew

I've been chasing after this work since I saw a picture of the monument size statue that adorns the National Museum Of The American Indian in Washington, DC. The original is called "Strength Of The Maker" and is an allegorical work about the relationship between God and Man, sculpted by master sculptor Denny Haskew (tribal affiliation: Potawatomie) of Colorado. I think it's just an incredibly beautiful work of art, regardless of the meaning behind it. Since I can't even afford to dream about owning a copy of the monument, and the (sold out) maquette size is still far beyond my price range, I found another version that I could afford. In 1987 Mr. Haskew made a similar bronze for The Franklin Mint titled "Preparing For The Hunt." Normally even this would be beyond my limited budget, but I happened to be fortunate enough to be in the right place, at the right time, and with a few bucks in my pocket to be able to pick this one up at a really good price. I know, it's more officially "collectible" than "fine art," but really, can't something of this caliber be both?

One day I shall own a true copy of "Strength Of The Maker," but until then, I present "Preparing For The Hunt" by Colorado artist Denny Haskew. The Franklin Mint didn't affix these bronzes to the bases, rather they put strips of felt on the contact points to deter damage. That's why the sculpture may seem to sit in different places on the base in these pictures - because it does! He's not darker on one side than the other, that's just the way the shadow fell.

It's just as impressive in real life, too. I'm thrilled that I've finally added this wonderful sculpture to my collection!

"Preparing For The Hunt" by Denny Haskew, bronze, 1987, front

"Preparing For The Hunt" by Denny Haskew, bronze, 1987, right

"Preparing For The Hunt" by Denny Haskew, bronze, 1987, back

"Preparing For The Hunt" by Denny Haskew, bronze, 1987, right

"Preparing For The Hunt" by Denny Haskew, bronze, 1987, close up

2 comments:

  1. I have this if your Interested in buying it

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much would you be willing to let it go for?

    ReplyDelete