Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Mystery Bronze!

I own several antique bronzes that are mysterious in origin, being unsigned artworks, unmarked advertising pieces, awards, or decorations from an old bank building or some such. I think this one is either an advertising piece or was a logo on some antique thing or another.

I've seen LOTS of reproductions of this image, often as part of a round plaque or medallion. I've also seen them like mine, trimmed around the image, however I've only seen one or two others that have any sort of marks stamped into them, or have details as crisp as this one. On the neck, mine has stamped "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF." There is a fair amount of solder on the back, so I can assume it was once affixed to some other piece of metal as a company logo, though which company that was, I don't know. I haven't cleaned the grime off of it yet, nor given it a good waxing, so I haven't found any other signatures or marks yet. This piece, like the Bergmann Indian with canoe in my last post, came from a hoarder in NY. Supposedly this one sat in a workbench drawer for over fifty years.

If anyone knows the history of this image, please let me know!

Antique Bronze Indian Head Logo, front

Antique Bronze Indian Head Logo, back


No comments:

Post a Comment