Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

John W. Learned (1929-2013) - "Mexican Indian"

This was one of the first bronzes that I bought, and could arguably be what started me collecting. I bid on this when it was listed at an online thrift store auction. I was the only bidder and won it for next to nothing. Once I received it, I began researching the artist, John W. Learned. I found out that Mr. Learned was a highly noted sculptor whose many large commissions still grace institutions and parks around the world.  He was born in Lawrence, Kansas in 1929, taught art at the University of Oklahoma and lived in Oklahoma City. I am given to understand that his was a generous spirit, and that he mentored many aspiring young artists. He passed away in 2013.

This piece is titled "Mexican Indian" and is signed "John W. Learned." It is not dated nor does it have an edition size. I believe it is an original and one of a kind. Not long after I bought it, I contacted a gallery in Oklahoma that specializes in Oklahoma artists. I was told that it very likely is unique. At one time the bronze was affixed to a base (there's a small blob of hot glue on the edge of the underside), but that was long gone by the time I got the piece.

Another funny note - it has taken me until now to write about this bronze because about three years ago my kitten knocked it off the shelf and I couldn't find it. I moved my old club chair the other day and there it was, on the rug under the back of the chair. I was so happy I had to include it here.

"Mexican Indian" by John W. Learned

"Mexican Indian" by John W. Learned, back

"Mexican Indian" by John W. Learned, signature

6 comments:

  1. My father did this piece. I was just a kid..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool!!! Your father was a quite talented artist. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you that! ;) By any chance, do you remember when he made this piece? Any info at all would be deeply appreciated!

      Delete
  2. My friend has two John W Learned sculptures for sale

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend has two John W Learned sculptures for sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're still available, I'd love to see pictures. My email address is art.antiques.hound@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Frank B
      The Bronze Hound

      Delete
  4. I will send a photo of one labeled Comanche tomorrow. would like an offer.
    Brad208@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete