Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Mystery Maine Sculpture - Winslow Artist?

This is turning out to be the time for me to post up some of my mystery bronzes, those that have no titles, are not signed or dated, have no provenance to provide details or any combination of the above. This one hits on about every one of those. The information I have is very sketchy and minimal at best, so once again the call goes out to anyone who might recognize this sculpture to PLEASE DROP ME A NOTE!! I'd dearly love to have some information on this piece. It may well be unique, but SOMEONE made it and SOMEONE has seen it before. I've looked and looked but haven't had the slightest luck. I am pretty certain it's not a smaller copy of a monument, but that's almost all I can surmise.

I was home recovering between back surgeries when this lovely work came up for sale for a very reasonable price (read: I only skipped a few decent lunches). As I was mainly bedridden and my antique Jeep wasn't sucking its usual monthly pile of cash out of my wallet, I had a few bucks more than usual to spend. So I pulled the trigger and bought it, even knowing it was something of an enigma. I liked it (and still do).

The seller was an eBay shop in Massachusetts who sold on consignment. The only info they had been given was that it was created in Maine and that either the sculptor's last name was Winslow or was located in Winslow, Maine. It's possible the consignor was from Winslow, Maine too, which could blow the whole set of "facts" out of the water. I don't know and neither did they. I thought, 'Eh, I like it and the price is right, so why not?' It looks like there was once a brass plaque on the front, but that is long gone. There is nothing on the bronze itself to identify it, not a word, name, date, chop mark, nothing.

Today I finally got around to waxing it (the sculpture was already clean and in beautiful condition) and decided to take pictures and post it up in the hopes that I'll get some feedback on it.

Of course, any search for a Winslow Maine artist (even if one searches for sculptors and/or sculptures), one is inundated with Winslow Homer pages and references. Wading through those is grueling! My eyes go crossed. ;)

Depicted here is a muscular adult Indian man, most likely from one of the Northeastern Woodland tribes (Mohawk, Penobscot, Wampanoag, etc.) judging by both his hairstyle and clothing. He is standing straight up at the end of a boulder, his arms crossed across his chest, an upraised tomahawk in each fist. His head is shaved save for a top knot or brush - it's not a head roach, the tie strap holding his hair up is visible on close examination - and has two feathers hanging down the back. He's wearing low and simple moccasins and a plain loincloth. He's clearly a powerful warrior in the prime of life and in peak health. He's not showing any scars and is (ahem!) anatomically correct, as I found out while waxing him. Oh yes he is. LOL. He's fairly well sculpted save for his ears, which are not exactly the best. Otherwise, the level of detail is quite nice given the small size of the piece.

So here I present you with another mystery bronze. From the base of the boulder to the top of his hair, he's 6.5" tall. The hardwood base is 3/4" tall. It's not a huge bronze, but it's very nicely done. Enjoy!!

Edit: I have come to understand that this may have been sculpted by Texas artist Gene Deveny. I'll update this post as I find more info.


Bronze Woodland Indian, possibly from Maine, ???, front
Bronze Woodland Indian, possibly from Maine, ???, right

Bronze Woodland Indian, possibly from Maine, ???, right
Bronze Woodland Indian, possibly from Maine, ???, back


Bronze Woodland Indian, possibly from Maine, ???, face close up


2 comments: